Deck Hand | South Lake Tahoe, CA
Part-Time (20-30 hours) / Full-Time (32+ Hours)
Seasonal (6-8 Months)
Our deck hand will be responsible for assisting with operations our 46ft tri-toon, the Clearly Explorer. Our deck hand will be responsible for boat related needs and day-to-day operations and should be trained and understand our guide-related operation as well as how to operate the Clearly Explorer in an emergency scenario. Our deck hand will act as an assistant supervisor next to the Captain to oversee a team of up to 2 tour guides. Deck hand will primarily be responsible for boat-related needs and preparing for upcoming tours. Deck hand will assist tour guides with launching of kayaks from the Clearly Explorer and communicating with them while on the water. Our deck-hand should help ensure all operations are safe and enjoyable. Deck hand will be responsible for ensuring everything is stocked, well maintained and that there are back-up supplies available in-stock. They will be responsible for communicating maintenance and supply needs to the captain or appropriate departments. The deck hand will help with set-up and break down and should be responsible for fueling up the vessel on occasion and should be comfortable doing so in the absence of a captain.
About Clearly Tahoe
Clearly Tahoe is a full-service recreational company in the Lake Tahoe area that specializes in guided tours and rentals on both land and water. We currently feature guided tours from 7 different Lake Tahoe locations, operate 1 on-site rental concessions and 2 adventure-themed retail shops in the Tahoe basin. In addition to our popular tours in completely transparent kayaks, Clearly Tahoe also offers on-site rentals from the Sand Harbor Nevada State Park, excursions from our 46 foot tri-toon, hiking, biking and snowshoe tours during the off-season. With a team of more than 60 employees, Clearly Tahoe offers a variety of both seasonal and year-round positions, in-house training, and growth opportunities.
Our deck hand will primarily be schedule to work at our Tahoe Keys Marina location located in South Lake Tahoe, CA but may be expected to assist with off-site needs as well as attend meetings off-site from time to time. Our deck hand will be scheduled to either open or close during peak season but may be responsible for both during the off-season or on shorter days. This is a tiered team work environment where the captain will be expected to oversee a supervisor-level deck hand, and the deck hand will be expected to oversee guide-related operations while in session or all related needs in the absence of a captain.
Shifts at this location will most commonly begin at 7:30 or 8:30am and will last 9.5-10 hours/day on a normal day. Shifts may be as short a 6-hours if there is unfavorable weather conditions or if the team is simply running drills or promotional events. Crew aboard the Explorer will have the opportunity to take a standard lunch on-site between scheduled excursions and will be expected to end their shift between 5 and 7:00pm. Shifts at this location will be paid OT for daily hours exceeding 10 hours/shift. Team members at this locations will generally be scheduled to work 4-10/hour shifts for full-time employment and 2-3 days/week and 10-30 hours/week for part-time positions. The season for our Clearly Explorer operation runs from May 1st – October 31st but may be extended earlier or later int he event of favorable weather conditions.
Boat Captain Primary Responsibilities
– Clock-in on-time prepared to work.
– Check the weather conditions and ensure they are suitable for daily operations.
– Notify reservation office of any need to cancel or reschedule due to wind or weather conditions. (in the absence of a captain)
– Assist with calling off team and/or guests if necessary.
– Ensure team is on-site and prepared to work. (in the absence of a captain)
– Inspect the vessel and insure it is ready to operate.
– Prepare the vessel for upcoming tours.
– Fuel vessel if necessary and keep fuel log/schedule/calendar updated (in the absence of a captain)
– Assist with check-in/outfitting of guests (when necessary)
– Help prepare to launch activities from the Clearly Explorer
– Assist guests and tour guides with preparing for, implementing and breaking down after activity.
– Ensure snacks and refreshments have been set-out and are re-stocked as necessary.
– Monitor all recreational activities from Cleary Explorer
– Facilitate all communicate between tour guides and captain.
– Safely operate the Clearly Explorer in an emergency scenario or in the absence of a captain.
– Oversee all activities in session.
– Log and report any incidents or damages immediately to all necessary parties. (in the absence of a captain)
– Note any needs for the Explorer.
– Ensure all closing tasks for the Explorer have been completed.
– Help with maintenance-related needs aboard the explorer.
– Help ensure everyone has a safe and enjoyable experience.
Boat Captain Should be able to comfortably;
– Arrive on time and be prepared to work.
– Pass random drug test.
– Understand common Tahoe-specific weather conditions.
– Understand Tahoe-specific water-level concerns and obstacles.
– Understand Tahoe-specific boating activity and congestion areas.
– Communicate and help oversee team in a professional manner.
– Understand and oversee multiple-moving parts.
– Comfortably engage with guests in person or via email/phone.
– Professionally enforce company policies.
– Manage time and multi-task.
– Safely operate large vessel with passengers in emergency scenario without supervision.
– Safely and professionally operate vessel under supervision of captain.
– Communicate with other Clearly Tahoe departments when necessary
– Log and report incidents/damage appropriately.
– Set-up and break down for activities
– Manage inventory of supplies
– Assist with basic maintenance needs and cleaning.
– Understand Clearly Tahoe tour-related activities
– Fill-in for Clearly Tahoe guides if necessary.
– Ensure everyone has an enjoyable experience.
Job Types: Part-Time/Full-Time, Seasonal (8 Months)
Training Rate: $14.00/hour (Nevada)
Training Rate: $16.00/hour (California)
Starting Rate: $18.00-20.00/hour + OT
Please Note; standard shifts for this position will be 9.5-10 hours (weather permitting). Overtime is paid our 1.5x hourly rate for time exceeding 8 hours/day.
- Discounted Recreational Experiences
- Shop Discounts
- Team Activities
- 6 hour shift
- 10 hour shift
- 2-4 days/week (part-time)
NOTE: Schedule may vary seasonally.
Supplemental pay types:
- Performance Based Bonuses
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Clearly Tahoe
2435 Venice Drive East
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
NOTE: Must be able to reliably commute or relocate before starting work (Required)
- Ability to pass random drug test at anytime during employment.
- Must be fluent in English. Bilingual preferred.
- 2+ Years Customer Service Experience *Required*
- General seafaring skills.
- Experience with navigation, boat handling, engines and radio equipment.
- Communicate with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter. Ability to identify problems and propose solutions independently.
- American Red Cross First Aid/CPR *Required*
- Boating/Captains License (preferred)