Explorer Kayak Tour Guide | South Lake Tahoe, CA
Full-Time (32+ Hours) / Seasonal (6-8 Months)
Our Clearly Explorer tour guides will be responsible for facilitating guided kayak tours and sightseeing tours from our 46-foot tri-toon. Guides on the Explorer will be responsible for setting up and well as breaking down the Clearly Explorer and preparing to launch kayaks from the Explorer itself. Guides in this position should have a great deal of experience with boating activities as they will be working closely with a captain and deck hand during their shift to coordinate the safest and most enjoyable experience possible. Guides on the Clearly Explorer will be expected to help facilitate the arrival of guests and well as outfit guests upon arrival and ensure they have all completed waiver before participation in scheduled activity. Tour guides will assist guests to the vessel and be prepared to depart in a timely manner. Tour guide will provide basic facts and history of Lake Tahoe to all passengers while in-route to the launch site of scheduled tour and will be expected to use a mic to communicate with all guests (at once) while underway. Tour guides should be prepared to help launch docks and vessels from the boat and will return them to their proper place post-tour. During the kayak-portion of this experience, guides will be expected to help facilitate the safest and most enjoyable experience for guests. Guides will be expected to communicate with deck hand during recreational experience and will be responsible for assisting deck hand with various maintenance, and stocking needs from time to time. Tour guides should be trained and capable of filling in for deck hand in their absence or in the event of an emergency scenario.
About Clearly Tahoe
Clearly Tahoe is a full-service recreational company in the Lake Tahoe area that specializes in guided tours and rentals on both land and water. We currently feature guided tours from 7 different Lake Tahoe locations, operate 1 on-site rental concessions and 2 adventure-themed retail shops in the Tahoe basin. In addition to our popular tours in completely transparent kayaks, Clearly Tahoe also offers on-site rentals from the Sand Harbor Nevada State Park, excursions from our 46 foot tri-toon, hiking, biking and snowshoe tours during the off-season. With a team of more than 60 employees, Clearly Tahoe offers a variety of both seasonal and year-round positions, in-house training, and growth opportunities.
Our Explorer tour guides will primarily be schedule to work at our Tahoe Keys Marina location located in South Lake Tahoe, CA but may be expected to assist with off-site needs as well as attend meetings off-site from time to time. Our tour guides will be scheduled to either open or close during peak season but may be responsible for both during the off-season or on shorter days. This is a tiered team work environment where the captain will be expected to oversee a supervisor-level deck hand, and the deck hand will be expected to oversee guide-related operations while in session or all related needs in the absence of a captain. Guides will be expected to work together in a partner-scenario to conduct guided tour with large group. This will involve taking turns and alternating duties at times.
Shifts at this location will most commonly begin at 7:30 or 8:30am and will last 9.5-10 hours/day on a normal day. Shifts may be as short a 6-hours if there is unfavorable weather conditions or if the team is simply running drills or promotional events. Crew aboard the Explorer will have the opportunity to take a standard lunch on-site between scheduled excursions and will be expected to end their shift between 5 and 7:00pm. Shifts at this location will be paid OT for daily hours exceeding 10 hours/shift. Team members at this locations will generally be scheduled to work 4-10/hour shifts for full-time employment and 2-3 days/week and 10-30 hours/week for part-time positions. The season for our Clearly Explorer operation runs from May 1st – October 31st but may be extended earlier or later int he event of favorable weather conditions.
Tour Guide Primary Responsibilities
– Clock-in on-time prepared to work.
– Check the weather conditions and ensure they are suitable for daily operations.
– Notify captain or deck hand of any weather related concerns.
– Assist with calling off guests if necessary.
– Help facilitate the arrival of guests as well as check-in and outfitting.
– Help prepare the Clearly Explorer for upcoming tour.
– Help prepare to launch activities from the Clearly Explorer
– Conduct guided tour activities from Clearly Explorer or while underway.
– Ensure snacks and refreshments have been set-out and are re-stocked as necessary.
– Log and report any incidents or damages immediately to all necessary parties. (as necessary)
– Be prepared to implement EAP as well as fulfill role of deckhand if and when necessary.
– Ensure all closing tasks for the Explorer have been completed.
– Help with maintenance-related needs aboard the explorer.
– Help ensure everyone has a safe and enjoyable experience.
Tour Guides Should be able to comfortably;
– Arrive on time and be prepared to work.
– Pass random drug test.
– Understand common Tahoe-specific weather conditions.
– Understand Tahoe-specific boating activity and congestion areas.
– Comfortably engage with guests in person or via email/phone.
– Professionally enforce company policies.
– Manage time and multi-task.
– Facilitate guided tour in a safe and professional manner.
– Provide Tahoe-related facts and historical information while on tour.
– Entertain guests while on tour.
– Assist with the needs of guests and help make recommendations.
– Help ensure everyone has a safe and memorable experience.
– Log and report incidents/damage appropriately.
– Set-up and break down for activities
– Assist with basic maintenance needs and cleaning.
Job Types: Part-Time/Full-Time, Seasonal (8 Months)
Training Rate: $14.00/hour (Nevada)
Training Rate: $16.00/hour (California)
Starting Rate: $16.00-18.00/hour + OT
Please Note; standard shifts for this position will be 9.5-10 hours (weather permitting). Overtime is paid our 1.5x hourly rate for time exceeding 8 hours/day.
- Discounted Recreational Experiences
- Shop Discounts
- Team Activities
- 6 hour shift
- 10 hour shift
- 2-3 days/week (part-time)
- 4+ days/week (full-time)
NOTE: Schedule may vary seasonally.
Supplemental pay types:
- Performance Based Bonuses
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Clearly Tahoe
2435 Venice Drive East
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
NOTE: Must be able to reliably commute or relocate before starting work (Required)
- Ability to pass random drug test at anytime during employment.
- Must be fluent in English. Bilingual preferred.
- 2+ Years Customer Service Experience *Required*
- General seafaring skills. (preferred)
- Proficient kayaker.
- Ability to drive and operate a motorized vessel.
- Communicate with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter. Ability to identify problems and propose solutions independently.
- American Red Cross First Aid/CPR *Required*
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification (preferred)
- ACA Kayak Certification (preferred)
- Boating/Captains License (preferred)